MCE Performance (MChalmersEnterprise Inc.)
MCE Performance(MChalmersEnterprise Inc.)

TIG Welding

 We utilize the latest TIG Inverter technology and welding processes for repairs and modifications.

 

Cast iron, die-cast, pot metal, aluminum, brass, bronze, stainless steel and exotic metals. I can weld almost anything.

 

Whether it's a cracked engine case, stripped bolt hole, broken boss or a jacked up port job, we can repair most engine parts or help you fabricate your latest project. Most welding jobs can be performed while you wait. Aluminum, cast iron or exotic metals. We weld them all. Stick, TIG, MIG or gas, we use all these processes to perform quality, lasting repairs!

 

We routinely use the TIG process to modify cylinder head ports where material needs to be added in order to correct a design issue or fix some screwed up nonsense. (We can usually save a set of heads that were ported incorrectly or just hogged the hell out.

 

 

 

 

Repairing a Botched port job. (This is horrible)

This is an example of an amatuer port job. (I'm suprised it didn't leak) I won't say who did it, but if you get your heads ported and you see something like this, demand a refund.

 

This created a huge cross sectional mismatch between the port and manifold. It flowed half-way decent (not great) with a clay airguide. However, with the manifold attached, it was less than stellar. The manifold absolutely killed it because of the cross sectional mismatch. 

 

I welded the roof back in where it belonged and matched it to the manifold. That cured the turbulence on the roof. Then I fixed the floor and short side to bring the flow up where it belonged. (The newly modified port floor is not shown here).

 

Theese worked out very well. Night and day difference!

This was the second to the last weld pass. I had to build up the guide boss considerably, it was all but gone. The next picture shows what the semi finished roof looked like before I finished it.

<< New image with text >>

This is the finished port roof after welding and finishing the surface.

Here are the before and preliminary after Flow Bench tests. The mid lift numbers improved dramitically. Additional work was done to pick up the higher lift flow even more. I'll try to put the final test results up when I get to it.

 

This repair worked out better than I expected. These are the flow numbers after I fixed the roof and re-shaped the floor. The velocity numbers are MUCH more uniform 310-330 vs. 200-375 before I started. These are going on an 95CI motor, they flow more than enough for that.

 

I tried a different shape intake valve and picked up even more through the mid lift area!

 

This customer was estatic with the added performance, as well as not having to start over on a new set heads. I saved him several hundred dollars.

 

Custom made Two-Stroke Intake manifold

Custom made Kawasaki H1 manifold. We make these for any size carb up to 40mm (34mm is shown here).

 

The flanges are CNC punch pressed and the spigot is turned on a lathe to size and TIG welded to the plate.

 

Email me at matt@mchalmers.com if you want a set.

Removing a valve seat by running a weld bead around it (the machine was tied up at the time) 

They fall right out after everything cools.

Example of where I had to add material a port that was botched by some back alley head expert. They had removed that hump on the port floor which killed the flow. This head took 4-5 passes (weld/file), but I got it flowing well.

 

We routinely have to add material to fill in 'dead areas' or to fix errors made by do-it-yourselfers. Most people would scrap the head and start over. Sometimes, that's the only option.

 

Water Cooled Micro Torch Lets me get into tight areas (like the short side). I used this to fix the port shown above. You can see where I had to fill in and build up in the bowl area and raise the short side. It took multiple passes. Weld, file, weld, file...

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© MChalmersEnterprise Inc.